Temporary Family Life Center Assistant
Portland Rescue Mission
Department: Family Life Center
Work Location: Shepherd's Door
Reports to: Family Life Center Manager
Employment Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: Temporary role duration will be dependent on COVID-19 guidelines for Oregon school distance learning requirements
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM days. Some schedule flexing may be required to cover evenings and weekends.
Shepherd’s Door is a community dedicated to restoring women and children who are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, highly-relational environment that is ideal for sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills training and spiritual formation in a retreat-like setting for up to 40 women and 25 children. We take an experiential approach to growth by using methods that are relationship-centered. Join a team that serves together to model Christ-like living and fosters lasting transformation of the women and children served.
General Description of Work
The Family Life Center is designed to care for children of mothers in Portland Rescue Mission’s Shepherd’s Door New Life Ministry Program. Children age birth to 10 years in the FLC may have been homeless and may have suffered abuse and/or neglect. While the primary focus is on ministry and care for children, interaction with the mothers in the New Life Discipleship Program facilitates a whole-family approach. Primary emphasis with the children is on creating a Christ-centered school-like environment while increasing social skills, language and motor skills that may be delayed due to environmental factors. Mothers with children in need of outside counseling are encouraged to seek treatment through outside resources, utilizing our Advocacy department. Older children are able to experience development in emotional growth with emphasis on building self-esteem, strengthening social skills and experiencing healthy relationships, with a goal of building of trust.
- Minister to hurting kids through the use of Christian curriculum, relational presence and responsive nurturing.
- Assist the Coordinators in facilitating a pre-school-specific curriculum utilizing a schoolhouse model to accommodate children of varying ages.
- Implement consistent, choice-based discipline rooted in empathy and compassion based on the Family Life Center philosophy.
- As assigned, be able to provide appropriate physical, emotional, and intellectual stimulation to a child who may be developmentally delayed due to abuse or neglect.
- Provide support to the Manager and Coordinators for a child who has been or is a potential victim of abuse or neglect.
- Be a good listener to verbal and nonverbal communications.
- Assume responsibility for age-appropriate care which includes: feeding, changing diapers, maintaining a safe environment, putting children down for nap, soothing, holding, sitting with, and cheerfully interacting with children through games, stories, crafts and play.
- Polite, friendly and courteous to all children, parents, and volunteers.
- Engage in and create age appropriate activities as assigned by Coordinators and Manager that provide experiences for the child that engages and fulfills their natural bent toward learning and curiosity.
- Develop a relationship of trust and continuity with each child that will enhance the development of a positive self-image.
- Assist the Coordinators in maintaining a neat and orderly classroom, thus establishing a calming and consistent environment for the children.
- Carry out all other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to relate to the program participants in a grace-based manner with a compassion that communicates an understanding that God has a purpose for each individual coupled with the ability to be firm on expectations (grace/guidance or acceptance/accountability).
- Must have experience and/or understanding of both the homeless and substance abusing population.
- Ability to implement age and ability appropriate curriculum.
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work in a changing environment with an ability to work independently.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks to completion.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted.
Personal Attributes & Values
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated growing relationship with Jesus Christ and be active in a Christian church.
- Ability to maintain an atmosphere of confidentiality with resident and staff information.
- Ability to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism with respect shown to all as above self.
- Have a compatible theology on major issues of PRM’s statement of faith.
- Be committed to serving God and the body of Christ.
- Have a teachable spirit and be committed to team participation.
- Must have a keen desire to help children and the ability to relate to them in a positive, patient, sensitive and nonjudgmental manner.
- Must have the ability to empathize with mothers regardless of their personal history and be accepting.
- Communicates with the Family Life Center Manager and other management staff with concerns.
- Must report any signs of abuse or neglect to management staff immediately.
- A lighthearted approach to interaction with children.
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
- Other as requested
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
- Complimentary beverages (coffee, tea, water) provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Complimentary lunches provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Free parking
- Positive, purposeful, and supportive work environment
- Healthy work-life balance
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.