Guest Ministries and Operations Manager
Portland Rescue Mission
Work Location: Burnside Shelter
Reports to: Director of Hope Ministries (Burnside Shelter)
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Effective Date: July 2020
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday 6 AM - 2:30 PM, occasional evening meetings and coverage/managerial support required in off hours
The Burnside Shelter of Portland Rescue Mission hosts our 24-hour ministry 365 days of the year to individuals experiencing homelessness and addiction in downtown Portland. Anyone who walks through our doors has access to comprehensive emergency services, and our highly relational staff provide compassionate, resource-rich care and opportunity to our guests.
Our Burnside Shelter is home to a broad spectrum of services, from immediate care to transitional shelter programming. These are provided by a diverse and skilled team focused on building relationships that serve to support growth away from the street environment. We invite you to join our team as we seek to share Christ and meet the many important needs of our dynamic ministry.
General Description of Work
The Guest Ministries and Operations Manager enthusiastically interacts with our guests and facilitates ministry opportunities through our Guest Relations Office, Guest Care Center, as well as all other services at the Burnside Shelter.
This position oversees the entirety of the work of Guest Care, as well as operational support of the Burnside Shelter ministry, including staff that support Guest Care during the evening, weekend, and overnight ministries.
Essential Outcomes and Responsibilities
- Guests who arrive at the Burnside Shelter will be welcomed into a dynamic environment of Christian hospitality, served by competent staff and volunteers, and provided with compassionate and highly relational care
- Men and women experiencing homelessness will be engaged toward life transformation and spiritual care through a highly interactive and enthusiastic approach through the work of the Guest Relations Office, Guest Care Center, dorm, and meal ministries
- Individuals serving in the Guest Relations Office will be supported, encouraged and equipped to minister in the role, including staff being present to navigate difficult interactions and cover the role when necessary
- The Burnside Shelter will be a safe and healing environment for all who enter the building through operational excellence
- Staff who report to this role will be developed toward greater effectiveness in Christian ministry and ownership of their identity as “Highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servants”
- Volunteers who are overseen by this individual and their reporting staff will feel welcomed, equipped, and encouraged in their ministry to our guests and participants through meaningful relationships with staff, appropriate training and professional interactions with the team
- Guest and Connect participants will receive care that reflects their value through best practices in ministry and effective operational procedures that are clearly communicated and in compliance with PRM policies
- The Burnside Shelter will be appropriately staffed at all times to serve our guests and program participants through well organized and clearly communicated coverage schedules
- The Burnside Shelter will honor the people we serve, our staff and volunteers through leading our peers in a safe environment, including expertise in deescalating tense and possibly violent situations in a calm and safe manner and exceeding the best practices for safety in the industry
- Actively provides Christ-centered, compassionate care to the guests who come to the site for services
- Shares the Gospel in ministry opportunities to guests and program participants, and develops additional program possibilities to further this ministry work
- Leads, mentors, and develops reporting staff towards dynamic ministry success, and individual self-care and growth in terms of Christian evangelism and discipleship.
- Monitors and provides accountability around a high standard of Christlikeness in the work and testimony of staff and ministry represented on site.
- Serve as a key leader in the Burnside Shelter, supporting the Director of Hope Ministries on all projects as needed
- Maintain best practices in terms of documentation, accountability, and structure of how ministerial and operational needs are met
- Document significant interactions with guests in a computer database and proactively communicate with the team via email
- Support the work of the Volunteer Coordinator and Guest Care Specialists
- Serve as part of the guest services team in providing coverage of the daily operations of the Burnside facility
- Maintain the operations of Burnside facility, including inventory tracking of resources, repair, and cleaning needs
- Oversee the Next Step Bed program and the staff assigned as case managers to guests
- Oversee staff coverage schedules, including coordinating daily coverage and vacations
- Provide trainings to staff in areas of guest care, as needed
- Serve, train, and empower volunteers to support and participate in dynamic ministry
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability and experience in Christian Leadership over a staff of individuals in a management and mentorship capability.
- Knowledge of and experience working with individuals in and around the homeless community, with challenges like those around addiction, mental health, and housing needs.
- Experience with facility operation, including site care, ordering of resources and compliance with best practices.
- Competency and comfortability in using support software such as client databases, Excel, Outlook, and other office tools.
- College degree in related field or experience equivalent
- Acts with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values and mission of Portland Rescue Mission
- Ministers as a highly-relational, Christ-centered, joyful servant
- Prompt and thorough in job performance, self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Creative and logical problem solving, able to learn quickly
- Experience in Mac and Microsoft Windows software
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Participates in an active church community, manifesting spiritual growth and development in partnership with others in the faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Strong team player
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
- Vans and Delivery Truck
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
- Complimentary beverages (coffee, tea, water) provided at no cost to employees most workdays
- Complimentary snacks provided at no cost to employees most workdays
- Complimentary meals provided at no cost to employees most workdays
- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Employer paid life insurance and long-term disability
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 6%
- Optional supplemental insurance options
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid vacation/sick time starting at 3 weeks per year
- Positive, purposeful, and supportive work environment
- Healthy work-life balance
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.