Graphic Design Specialist
Portland Rescue Mission
Work Location: Administration Office
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Effective Date: July 2020
Typical Hours Required: Monday-Friday, other evenings and weekends as needed
The Marketing Team
The Marketing Department at Portland Rescue Mission (PRM) is a group of dedicated professionals using their marketing skills for life-changing Christian ministry. Our goal is to tell the stories of what God has done in the lives of the men, women and children we serve with integrity and excellence. In doing this, we honor the lives of those we serve and share their testimony in a way that invites others more deeply into partnership with PRM through service, prayer and financial giving. This is a true ministry opportunity through the skills of marketing, and the best candidate will be a story-telling professional with a heart for serving hurting and hopeless people in the name of Jesus.
General Description of Work
The Graphic Design Specialist is a hands-on contributor to the storytelling efforts of PRM through excellent design and production skills. The scope of responsibility ranges from print production and digital graphic design to vendor relations and administrative management of projects and deadlines. This must be done with an emphasis on producing and managing the delivery methods of content that will share our message of hope and transformation. The right candidate will be proficient at overseeing all aspects of graphic design, from resource gathering to producing final pieces. They will also be comfortable with graphic design, writing basic copy and tailoring content to social media platforms.
Essential Outcomes and Responsibilities
- Individuals, businesses and churches in our community will be inspired to partner with the work of Portland Rescue Mission by viewing exceptionally well-designed and produced materials that share stories of changed lives via marketing campaigns and across a variety of print and digital platforms, including social media.
- The needs for graphic design services and marketing services from our staff across PRM will be met on time, with a spirit of teamwork, and with excellence.
- The decisions and strategic direction of PRM’s leaders will be met with support and dedication, and marketing materials will be produced that enhance that vision to reach broader audiences through print and digital platforms.
- Marketing campaigns will gain depth and experiential value to the audience by including visual design elements that enrich the experience and emotional engagement of the viewer.
- Design elements produced for PRM will appeal to the target audiences in PRM’s different channels of delivery, taking in to account demographic sensitivity and appropriateness of content and messaging.
- Budgets and delivery timelines for design projects will be met on or ahead of time for internal and external department commitments.
- Donors, volunteers, staff, and community members will be invited into deeper discipleship as they are led to see God’s intervention on behalf of the men, women and children that we serve at PRM.
- The Marketing team’s vision and unity as led by the Director of Marketing will be strengthened by the Graphic Design Specialist’s attitude and contributions.
- Work under the management and direction of the Director of Marketing and function as an active part of the Marketing Department
- Embrace the Portland Rescue Mission ministry culture of being a Highly Relational, Christ-Centered, Joyful Servant
- Serve two hours per week of the regular schedule in a direct ministry capacity at one of Portland Rescue Mission’s ministry centers to develop and enhance culture of hospitality
- Provide creative input as part of the Marketing Department to improve overall performance in Portland Rescue Mission’s donor relations efforts
- Seek ongoing training or enrichment opportunities surrounding design, technology and strategy to help the Mission keep on the cutting edge of effective marketing
- Actively explore and report on trends and new opportunities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- College degree in related field or experience equivalent
- Multi-tasker, self–starter, deadline-driven with the ability to multi-task and deliver in a deadline oriented environment
- Prompt and thorough in job performance with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Creative and logical problem solver
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Professional-level graphic design skills – SAMPLES REQUIRED
- Professional-level video production skills – SAMPLES REQUIRED
- Highly proficient in industry-standard design software (Adobe Creative Suite—Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, etc.)
- Strong proficiency in software such as; Basecamp, Dropbox, WordPress and other digital media platforms
- Understanding of print production processes and experience producing pre-press files
- Experience in Microsoft Office software
- Excellent grammatical, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adherence to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Committed to the ministry of Portland Rescue Mission with a passion to help men, women and children suffering from homelessness, addiction and abuse
- Engaged as a supportive and integral team member of the Marketing team
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Genuine acceptance of constructive feedback with a “can do” attitude
- Possibility thinker who presents creative solutions to problems
- High degree of responsibility and initiative in communication and task delivery
- Pleasant, gentle, grace-filled manner and servant’s heart toward others
- Demonstration of excellent integrity
- Composed and professional demeanor
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier, printers and related office equipment
- Multiple design and internet-based software, programs and apps (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite—Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, etc.)
- Digital camera with multiple lenses and external flash
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
- Complimentary beverages (coffee, tea, water) provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Complimentary lunches provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Discounted childcare at onsite Family Life Center as space allows
- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Employer paid life insurance and long-term disability
- Optional supplemental insurance options
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 6%
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid vacation/sick time starting at 3 weeks per year
- Free parking
- Up to 2 hours weekly paid volunteer/service opportunities in the area of your choice (running team, music ministry, teaching, art classes, dance classes, etc.)
- Positive, purposeful, and supportive work environment
- Healthy work-life balance
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.