Women's Growth Counselor (Part Time)
Portland Rescue Mission
Department: New Life Ministry for Women and Children
Work Location: Shepherd's Door
Reports to: Director of New Life Ministries
Employment Status: Part Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: May 2018
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 4:30, other evenings and weekends as needed
Pay Range: Hourly rate depending on experience
Shepherd’s Door is a community dedicated to restoring women and children who are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, relational environment that cultivates sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills training and spiritual formation in a retreat-like setting.
In New Life Ministries we take a highly-relational approach to growth. Join a team that serves together to model Christ-like living and achieve lasting transformation in the women and children we serve.
General Description of Work
In collaboration with the Shepherd’s Door staff, the Women’s Growth Counselor will provide one on one counseling services to the residents at Shepherd’s Door, supporting their growth in discipleship, addictions recovery and healthy living. The Women’s Growth Counselor will address core areas such as grief, trauma and relationship challenges allowing residents to experience freedom from addiction and unhealthy cycles. The Women’s Growth Counselor collaborate with the delivery of Genesis Process (relapse prevention curriculum) and other recovery education. The integration of Christian discipleship, life skills, addictions recovery into counseling services and a passion for using proven counseling techniques in a life on life discipleship setting is essential for success.
- Develop and maintain outcomes focused counseling ministry at Shepherd’s Door with defined services, clear procedures and outside referral options when necessary.
- Work in collaboration with Shepherd’s Door Growth Leaders by providing necessary counseling services in grief, trauma, addictions, relationships and more to support resident growth as outlined in the Growth Plan.
- Connect counseling services to spiritual formation and life skills training ensuring a balanced and holistic programmatic delivery.
- Support staff and volunteer training and education.
- Document Resident progress in program database and support best practices in program services.
- Support the creation and implementation of New Life Ministry curriculum.
- Introduce women in the Discovery Program to counseling services and the recovery process in order to give them tools to support immediate growth.
- Live out a vibrant transformational relationship with God as a model in and among the Residents in the program community, including promoting growth in reconciliation, spiritual growth, identity formation, and service in their lives.
- Nurture a robust delivery of recovery care in both formal and informal settings including involvement by staff, resident peers, volunteers and churches.
- Collaborate with the delivery of the Genesis Process (relapse prevention curriculum) and other recovery education classes, teaching classes as necessary.
- Collaborate with Men’s Ministry counseling to create consistent outcomes and practices.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Demonstrate and minister as a highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servant.
- Support ministry coverage at Shepherd’s Door.
- Support the integration of life skills, vocation, addictions recovery and spiritual formation so that each resident is fully equipped for life after Shepherd’s Door.
- Integrate and seek ministry cohesion with all Portland Rescue Mission programs.
- Assist in crisis counseling and pastoral care.
- Participate in PRM special events including meetings, retreats and banquets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Licensed counselor in State of Oregon (LPC)
- College degree from an accredited Bible college or seminary.
- At least 5 years of experience in Counseling Ministry.
- Alcohol/drug certification (CADC) preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of chemical dependency, addiction recovery and counseling specific to relapse prevention
- Proficient in documentation, organization, scheduling and classroom participation
- Experience in Microsoft Windows software
- Ability to multi-task
- Self starter
- Prompt and thorough in job performance
- Creative and logical problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission’s Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Strong team player and self starter
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We exist to demonstrate the compassion of Christ.
We behave as highly relational Christ-centered joyful servants.