Shepherd's Door Program Manager
Portland Rescue Mission
Department: New Life Ministry for Women and Children
Work Location: Shepherd's Door
Reports to: Director of New Life Ministries
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Effective Date: May 2018
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 5:00, other evenings and weekends as needed
Pay Range: Salary depending on experience
Do you have a passion for seeing women’s lives transformed through faith-based addictions recovery? Are you a natural leader with proven management skills in an addictions recovery environment? Are you innovative and collaborative in leading women to successful life change? Then consider joining our team of highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servants as the program manager with Portland Rescue Mission at Shepherd’s Door!
Shepherd’s Door is a community dedicated to restoring women and children who have suffered from homelessness and are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, relational environment that cultivates sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, spiritual formation and life skills training in a retreat-like setting. In New Life Ministries, we take a highly-relational approach to growth. Join a team that serves together to model healthy living and achieve lasting transformation in the women and children we serve.
Overview of Job
The Shepherd’s Door Program Manager is responsible for overseeing the addictions recovery and spiritual formation components of the New Life Ministry for Women and Children. This will require oversight of a team of approximately 15 staff who conduct resident intake and the delivery of addictions recovery, counseling and spiritual formation programming for up to 40 women and 25 children. The Shepherd’s Door Program Manager will collaborate closely with the Life Skills Manager to ensure that all residents receive holistic care through integrated service delivery and strong volunteer support.
The Shepherd’s Door Program Manager will be passionate and skilled in discipleship and recovery programming while having an ability to provide excellent staff management and improve ministry effectiveness. In addition, this person will be a strong communicator and able to represent Shepherd’s Door to the community.
- Provide senior management to lead the addictions recovery and spiritual formation staff in transformational ministry by fostering a culture that honors God, develops the staff and provides empathetic care for all residents as outlined in the PRM Statement of Culture.
- Oversee addictions recovery and spiritual formation program delivery at Shepherd’s Door, ensuring that all program procedures are followed and desired outcomes are attained.
- Collaborate with the Life Skills Manager to facilitate the integration of addictions recovery, spiritual formation and life skills programming with a unified vision so all Shepherd’s Door residents are prepared for success after New Life Ministries.
- Continually improve ministry practices to ensure excellence in each ministry area, primarily evidenced through positive impact in the lives of the people served and those serving.
- Represent Shepherd’s Door to the public, donors, staff and volunteers -- this may involve speaking at various trainings, media venues, churches, civic groups, networking meetings and other settings as needed.
- Deliver direct ministry to the residents of Shepherd’s Door as necessary and according to your areas of gifting (e.g. teaching, worship, case management, etc.) This may involve leading residents in the use of growth tools and documenting the progress of residents under your care through case notes and other database tools.
- Provide the Director of New Life Ministries with strategic input regarding budget, ministry growth, staffing and personnel development, program effectiveness and resources.
- Lead and attend staff meetings, trainings, retreats and special events as required.
- Demonstrate and minister as a highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servant.
- Support ministry coverage at Shepherd’s Door, being available for necessary program operations (e.g. UA/BA, exits, med call).
- Integrate and seek ministry cohesion with all Portland Rescue Mission ministries utilizing other Portland Rescue Mission ministries whenever possible.
- Assist in crisis counseling and pastoral care.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Alcohol/drug certification (CADC) preferred
- Excellent knowledge of Christian spiritual formation, chemical dependency, addiction recovery and counseling specific to relapse prevention
- Proficient in communication, documentation, organization, scheduling and group and classroom participation
- Experience in Mac and Microsoft Windows software
- Experience in using a database and case notes
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards and growing in it through the regular practice of the spiritual disciplines
- Maintain an exemplary Christian life and example
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Ability to support and articulate the programs of Portland Rescue Mission
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Prompt and thorough in job performance
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed, professional and creative problem solver
- Strong team player with high initiative
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.