Mission Bar-B-Que Operations Assistant
Portland Rescue Mission
Position: Mission Bar-B-Que Operations Assistant
Department: Mission Bar-B-Que
Work Location: Mission Bar-B-Que
Reports to: Mission Bar-B-Que Operations Manager
Employment Status: Part Time, Regular, Non-Exempt
Effective Date: March 2018
Typical Hours Required: Monday – Friday, occasional evenings and weekends upon request
Pay Rate: $12.50 - $14 per hour
General Description of Work:
The Mission Bar-B-Que Operations Assistant assists in all operations related to running and driving the food truck, including emailing for scheduling, preparation of food for delivery to events, staffing of the food truck and transportation to and from food truck events for the residents.
This position is a “client service” position and must have a high degree of interpersonal skills as they will be working directly with the public.
This position has the potential to involve speaking at events promoting Mission Bar-B-Que, assisting in answering questions related to BBQ procedures, menu pricing and working with regular client lunches as it relates to the food truck location.
This position will work directly with the residents of New Life Recovery program in vocational skill development, customer service skills, order filling and following direction. They will also work directly with volunteers in supporting the needs of the food truck and events.
The position will assist the Shepherd’s Door Kitchen Coordinator in preparing the side dishes for events and the food truck.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to operate a “Square” iPod cashier system including keeping track of cash, balancing the till and storing cash and devices
- Must possess a Multnomah county Food Handler’s Card
- Able to lift 75 pounds
- Possess a driver’s license
- Ability to follow detailed instructions
- Be prompt and thorough in job performance
- Demonstrate ability to work with a team
- Ability to read and follow recipes
- Ability to train and teach culinary skills
- Ability to work with the residents through healthy communication skills and speak Biblical truths into their lives
- Be the lead at food truck site and events
- Ability to maintain complete operations of the food truck while supervisor is unavailable
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission’s Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Strong team player and self starter
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Able to assess situations and adapt to change and need as presented
- “Square” iPod cashier system
- Able to drive both a Suburban and step-van food truck
- Measuring cups and devises including Cambro warming equipment to transport product
- Knowledgeable in all working operations of the food truck and ability to teach all food truck functions to incoming residents
Other Duties as Assigned:
The Mission Bar-B-Que Company exists to support the Portland Rescue Mission. Our sole purpose is to produce the best food available in Portland as a testimony to the goodness and care Jesus Christ has shown us. We take the opportunity to share our faith and the purpose of Portland Rescue Mission at any and all opportunities.
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.