Portland Rescue Mission
Department: New Life Ministry for Women and Children
Work Location: Shepherd's Door
Reports to: Director of New Life Ministries
Employment Status: Part Time or Full Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: February 2018
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 4:30, other evenings and weekends as needed
Pay Range: Hourly rate depending on experience
Shepherd’s Door is a community dedicated to restoring women and children who are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, highly-relational environment that is ideal for sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills training and spiritual formation in a retreat-like setting for up to 40 women and 25 children. We take an experiential approach to growth by using methods that are relationship-centered. Join a team that serves together to model Christ-like living and fosters lasting transformation of the women and children served.
General Description of Work
The Shepherd’s Door Chaplain is responsible for cultivating the overall spiritual climate at Shepherd’s Door, ensuring that it is a Christ-centered community, rich in discipleship and worship. The Chaplain will ensure that all residents are heard and understood regarding their spiritual condition and needs; are warmly and graciously served; hear the gospel and are tenderly invited into a new or renewed relationship with Jesus Christ; gain a foundational understanding of God’s Word; and are spiritually nurtured during their time at Shepherd’s Door. To fulfill these outcomes, the Chaplain shall regularly meet one-on-one with residents; regularly lead small groups; and diligently equip and mobilize staff and volunteers.
- Warmly welcome and convey a calming acceptance of all new Shepherd’s Door residents.
- Listen with love and empathy to the residents in order to encourage, build trust and discern their spiritual needs.
- Provide pastoral care and counseling that includes sharing the gospel and inviting each resident into a new or renewed relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Lead the Shepherd’s Door community in its discipleship ministry where faith, hope and love are grown in the hearts of all who participate. This will require collaboration with and equipping of staff and volunteers in creating an effective Mentoring program, Discipleship Groups, and retreats ensuring that each supports residents to grow in their identity in Christ and freedom from addiction.
- Oversee the meaningful engagement of residents in local church fellowships.
- Support the Intake Specialist in shepherding the Discovery (first 5 weeks in residence) residents in order to engage them in programming, discern their fit for the one-year Restoration program and ensure that they have each heard and understood the gospel message.
- Document resident progress in program database as necessary.
- Demonstrate and minister as a highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servant.
- Support ministry coverage at Shepherd’s Door.
- Integrate and seek ministry cohesion with all Portland Rescue Mission programs.
- Assist in crisis counseling as necessary.
- Provide support to PRM in acting as liaison between PRM and the variety of volunteers, donors, and churches that partner with the Mission.
- Participate in staff meetings, trainings, retreats and banquets.
- Teach at other PRM ministry sites as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- College degree from an accredited Bible college or seminary preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in pastoral ministry.
- A deep knowledge of the Word.
- An instinctive ability to effectively pray both in private and group settings.
- Alcohol/drug certification (CADC) preferred. But must have a good understanding of the emotional, cognitive and relational challenges of people who are in recovery from addictions.
- Understands proper boundaries for healthy engagement in spiritual growth and recovery work.
- Proficient in documentation, organization and scheduling.
- Experience in Microsoft Windows software.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player.
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith.
- Naturally evangelistic and can effortlessly share personal testimonies of God’s love.
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards.
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics.
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children.
- A pleasant, gentle, grace-filled manner toward others.
- Possesses and demonstrates excellent integrity.
- Composed and professional.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Telephone, fax and voice mail.
- Copier and related office equipment.
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.