Social Enterprise Entrepreneur
Portland Rescue Mission
Position: Social Enterprise Entrepreneur
Department: Social Enterprises
Work Location: The Harbor/Drive Away Hunger
Reports to: COO
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Effective Date: February 2018
Typical Hours Required: Monday – Friday, evenings and weekends as needed
Pay Range: Salary depending on experience
General Description of Work
Portland Rescue Mission (the “Mission”) has been giving hope and restoring life for almost 70 years by serving people struggling with homelessness and/or addictions. We are seeking to add to our team of highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servants a gifted, highly-motivated individual with an entrepreneurial spirit who has successfully grown businesses. This new, strategic role is responsible for expanding the Mission’s social enterprises while overseeing the day to day operations of Mission Bar-B-Que. These enterprises serve as revenue-generating vocational and discipleship training platforms for the men and women we serve in the Mission’s one-year recovery programs.
Mission Bar-B-Que is a new catering business that also includes a food truck. This business is in its infancy and requires significant entrepreneurial leadership in order to develop and stabilize the operation. If you love people, food, local marketing and the excitement of growing businesses then you may be just the person we have been praying for!
This is a great opportunity to help restore lives while applying your considerable business development skills and passion for discipleship!
Essential Functions Include
- Leading the development of excellent product and a significant expansion of revenue for the Mission Bar-B-Que enterprise. This will require working some weekends and evenings during the busy catering months.
- Overseeing the Mission Bar-B-Que staff in meeting all enterprise needs.
- Collaborating with the Marketing and Partnership Departments in developing and implementing marketing strategies for significant expansion of Mission Bar-B-Que .
- Promoting PRM social enterprise businesses through local marketing and networking efforts.
- Speaking at church and business events promoting the Mission and its social enterprise vision and ministry.
- Overseeing the training of recovery program residents in vocational development while they serve in all aspects of Mission social enterprises.
- Discipling residents in the Mission’s one-year recovery programs by modeling healthy behaviors while working alongside and speaking Biblical truths into the lives of the men and women being served.
- Contributing to the leadership and development of future social enterprises at PRM.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- An evident passion for and success in business development
- Food/restaurant business experience is a strong plus
- A self-starter with exceptional initiative
- Able to quickly assess situations and readily adapt
- Excellent skills in motivating and training people in vocational development
- A strong team player
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks
- Able to lift 75 pounds
- A licensed driver
- Must possess or obtain a Multnomah County Food Handler’s Card
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Exhibits spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- A desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace-filled manner toward others
- Possesses and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Organization and sales tracking software tools
- Various kitchen and cooking equipment
- Food truck, vans and other vehicles
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.