Kitchen Coordinator (Shepherd's Door & The Harbor)
Portland Rescue Mission
Department: New Life Ministry
Work Location: Shepherd's Door/The Harbor
Reports to: Life Skills Manager
Employment Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: September 2017
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, some evenings and weekends required
New Life Ministry
Portland Rescue Mission's New Life Ministry is a Christian discipleship program based in NE Portland at Shepherd’s Door and The Harbor. These are communities dedicated to restoring men, women and children who are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, relational environment that cultivates sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills training and spiritual formation in a retreat-like setting.
In New Life Ministries, we take a highly-relational approach to growth. Join a team that serves together to model Christ-like living and achieve lasting transformation in the women and children we serve.
General Description of Work
The Shepherd’s Door Kitchen Coordinator will oversee the execution of all food service at Shepherd’s Door through training, supervising and mobilizing Shepherd’s Door residents in the vocational ministry, volunteer staff and volunteer meal groups. The Kitchen Coordinator will work with the New Life Ministries team to support ongoing recovery, discipleship and life skills training of all Shepherd’s Door residents. The Shepherd’s Door Kitchen Coordinator will also work alongside the Mission Bar-B-Que team focusing on the preparation of all side dishes through the mobilization of Shepherd’s Door residents.
In all areas the Kitchen Coordinator will ensure that a high quality of food is served, all professional food service standards are followed and there is a Christ-centered team based culture in the kitchen. An understanding of large scale food service and commercial cooking equipment is required.
- Oversee all food service at Shepherd’s Door maintaining a high standard of health and safety.
- Work in collaboration with PRM’s Food Service Coordinator to maximize efficiency, keep costs low, keep quality up and maintain PRM food service standards.
- Mobilize, train and supervise all assigned residents in vocation for Shepherd’s Door and Missions Bar-B-Que so that Life Skills development and relational growth is produced.
- Support Mission Bar-B-Que preparing all side dishes, developing new recipes, cost out all dishes and support catered events as necessary.
- Support growth of all residents in addictions recovery, spiritual formation and life skills training. Focus on developing job readiness of residents serving in the kitchen and give feedback to New Life Ministry staff.
- Maintain ministry guidelines and procedures for all residents using all accountability tools. Document through resident database.
- Oversee placement, training and supervision of volunteer staff and evening meal hosting groups.
- Maintain PRM procedures regarding donations and effectively steward donated recourses.
- Manage Health and Safety standards as per county health department
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 1 year of culinary cooking experience.
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to follow detailed recipe and instructions
- Be prompt and thorough in job performance
- Demonstrate ability to work with a team
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and a testimony of continued growth in faith.
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional biblical standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Missions Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics.
- A gentle, grace filled manner towards others.
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks as assigned.
- Able to access situations and adapt to change and need as presented.
- Commercial kitchen equipment.
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.