Live-in Women's Community Life Specialist / Evening & Weekend Ministry Staff
Portland Rescue Mission
Department: Women's New Life Ministry
Work Location: Shepherd's Door (Housing Provided)
Reports to: Life Skills Manager
Employment Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: September 2017
Typical Hours Required: Evenings, Nights, Weekend Day and On Call overnight
Shepherd’s Door is a place and community of refuge and restoration where women and children can find healing, truth and purpose. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, relational environment that is ideal for sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills training and spiritual formation. At Shepherd’s Door we take a fresh approach to growth by using methods that are experiential and relationship centered. Join a team that serves together to model Christ-like living and achieve lasting transformation in people who are in great need of help.
General Description of Work
Live-In Community Life Specialist Staff will have a unique opportunity to model a healthy life of restoration in Christ while living in the house provided on Shepherd’s Door property. This person will be responsible to ensure Shepherd’s Door continues to be a place of safety, growth and life in the evenings, nights and weekends for all the participants in Women’s New Life Ministry.
Live-in Community Life Specialist Staff will work alongside Shepherd’s Door staff and Service Residents in order to be a discipleship presence, resolve immediate issues that may arise and maintain a consistency of program guidelines and tone. Working alongside Volunteer Staff, Live-In Community Life Specialist Staff will support evening and weekend activities such as evening devotions, Women’s Breakfast and weekend activities, ensuring that Shepherd’s Door is full of life, centered on Christ and engaging all who participate.
- Live at Shepherd’s Door leading by example (Living quarters include a private bedroom, a shared full bath, living area and kitchen as well as a separate bedroom for additional staff member).
- Be a discipleship presence in Shepherd’s Door community, modeling life in Christ, building relationship with women, encouraging them in the Lord and challenging them towards growth in Jesus.
- Oversee the safety of Shepherd’s Door during evenings and weekends through enforcing guidelines and exit procedures when necessary so that Shepherd’s Door is consistently Christ centered.
- Be available overnight by being on-call, willing and able to help Residents as needed.
- Oversee evening and weekend activities through the mobilization of volunteers, Service Residents and other Resident leaders so that all women remain focused on growth and relationship building. Support other activities and retreats as needed.
- Support New Life Ministries through administrative and procedural tasks.
- Understand recovery and how to encourage the women on their recovery journey.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- College degree in related field or experience equivalent
- General awareness and basic knowledge of chemical dependency, addiction recovery and discipleship
- Experience in Microsoft software and Mac operating systems
- Ability to multi-task
- Prompt and thorough in job performance
- Creative and logical problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Able to gracefully maintain boundaries and hold others accountable to community guidelines
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Strong team player
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.