Women's Connect Advocate (Burnside Shelter)
Portland Rescue Mission
Department: Women's Connect
Work Location: Burnside Shelter
Reports to: Women's Connect Manager
Employment Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: August 2020
Typical Hours Required: Sunday-Wednesday, 3-11 PM
The Burnside Shelter of Portland Rescue Mission hosts our 24-hour ministry 365 days of the year to individuals experiencing homelessness and addiction in downtown Portland. Comprehensive emergency services are available to any individual coming through our doors, and our highly relational staff provide compassionate, resource-rich care and opportunity to our guests. Broad services from immediate care to transitional shelter programming are provided by a skilled team focused on building relationships that serve to support growth away from the street environment. We invite you to join our team as we seek to share Christ and meet the many important needs of our dynamic ministry.
General Description of Work
The Women’s Connect Advocate provides a ministerial and relational presence to participants in our Women’s Connect and Next Step Bed (NSB) programs through intentional and compassionate engagement in their lives and with an emphasis on connecting the participants to resources that will help them maintain permanent housing. This position supports the work on the Assistant Manager by maintaining a safe environment during swing shifts and facilitating ministry opportunities within our women’s programs at Burnside.
Essential Outcomes and Responsibilities
- Participants in Women’s Connect and NSB Programs will experience Christian hospitality that communicates value and inspires hope for life change through a program environment overseen by highly relational staff who invest in their well-being, listen to them and offer support.
- Participants in Women’s Connect and NSB Programs will experience a safe and healing environment through a maintained, clean facility and calm atmosphere that minimizes overstimulation, conveys dignity, and highly contrasts the toxicity of the streets.
- Participants in Women’s Connect and NSB Programs will experience healthy community as demonstrated by reliable staff modeling patience, truth, and grace through conflict mediation, de-escalation, and relationship restoration.
- Participants in Women’s Connect will gain stability and develop action plans through weekly advocacy meetings facilitated by the Connect Advocate, designed to help women reach their goals through resource referral, accountability, and regular check-ins.
- Men and women experiencing homelessness will be engaged toward life transformation and spiritual care through a highly interactive and enthusiastic approach through the work of the Guest Relations Office, which the Women’s Connect advocate will proactively serve in on a weekly basis.
- Shares a clear message of the Gospel and engages in evangelism when opportunities arise in day-to-day interactions.
- Actively provides Christ-centered, compassionate care to all, including guests, volunteers, coworkers, and men and women in our Connect and NSB Programs.
- Model Christian virtues in increasing measure, displaying the depths of Christ’s love and the joy of your salvation to all.
- Support the work of the Women’s Connect Assistant Manager by maintaining a safe environment and facilitating ministry opportunities within the Women’s Programs.
- Document significant interactions with participants in a computer database in a timely manner, and proactively communicate with the team via email.
- Participate in a monthly Connect staff meeting and weekly one-on-one with the Women’s Connect Manager.
- Lead weekly advocacy meetings with Women’s Connect and NSB participants to create solid action plans that help women move forward and away from the streets.
- Support the work of the Guest Care Team by proactively serving in the Guest Relations Office on a weekly basis.
- Provide resource information with care and compassion to all those who call, email, or walk through our doors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- College degree in related field or experience equivalent
- Acts with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values and mission of Portland Rescue Mission
- Ministers as a highly-relational, Christ-centered, joyful servant
- Prompt and thorough in job performance, self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Creative and logical problem solving, able to learn quickly
- Experience in Mac and Microsoft Windows software
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Participates in an active church community, manifesting spiritual growth and development in partnership with others in the faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Strong team player
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.