Burnside Men's Shelter Staff Lead
Portland Rescue Mission
Work Location: Burnside Shelter
Reports to: Director of Burnside Services
Employment Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Effective Date: March 2020
Typical Hours Required: Saturday & Sunday 6:30 PM - 6 AM, Monday & Tuesday, 8:30 PM - 6 AM
The Burnside Shelter of Portland Rescue Mission hosts our 24-hour ministry 365 days of the year to individuals experiencing homelessness and addiction in downtown Portland. Anyone who walks through our doors has access to comprehensive emergency services, and our highly relational staff provide compassionate, resource-rich care and opportunity to our guests.
Our Burnside Shelter is home to a broad spectrum of services, from immediate care to transitional shelter programming. These are provided by a diverse and skilled team focused on building relationships that serve to support growth away from the street environment. We invite you to join our team as we seek to share Christ and meet the many important needs of our dynamic ministry.
General Description of Work
This role is unmatched in the Portland homeless services community, as it is wholly unique to our provision of 24/7 services to those experiencing the trauma of homelessness. This role is part of a team of staff that provides overnight ministry to those during the seemingly lonely night hours.
On the forefront of homeless ministry, the individual for this position provides the most necessary basis for hope, establishing relationships with guests as they navigate the homeless environment. Lifesaving services are offered, as water, restrooms, advice, and advocacy are all a significant part of what this position supports.
The individual for this role is responsible for ministering to the guests and residents during the evening, providing assistance in basic operations, and maintaining a safe environment of the facility, both for those in residence and those receiving emergency services, including overnight shelter.
- Minister to, build relationships with, and attempt to meet the needs of our guests as the enter the mission and utilize our services.
- Maintain a safe and healing environment for the residents, guests and staff through the current practices of ministry as defined in the Outreach Best Practices Manual.
- Walk through the building, ensuring the environment is safe and secure on a rotational basis.
- Provide relational referrals, answering questions, or solely having quality conversations with individuals in the building, and over the phone.
- Receive incoming donations.
- Support Mission operations as needed with regards to overnight shelter needs, and in regard to a quality experience around resources and restroom/hygiene services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to maintain calm in tense/possibly violent situations
- Knowledge of and experience in sharing relationally your relationship with Jesus Christ
- Experience in Microsoft Windows software
- Prompt and thorough in job performance
- Creative and logical problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission’s Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed and professional
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
- CCTV Camera Systems
- Industrial Laundry Equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
- Complimentary beverages (coffee, tea, water) provided at no cost to employees most workdays
- Complimentary snacks provided at no cost to employees most workdays
- Complimentary meals provided at no cost to employees most workdays
- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Employer paid life insurance and long-term disability
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 6%
- Optional supplemental insurance options
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid vacation/sick time starting at 3 weeks per year
- Positive, purposeful, and supportive work environment
- Healthy work-life balance
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.